—Youth Services Mentoring Director
You only meet during the school year, once a week at a nearby school.
Volunteer Big Brothers and Sisters matched in our site-based program meet their Little Brothers or Sisters at school once a week over the course of the academic year. During lunch or after school, ‘Bigs’ and ‘Littles’ play on the playground, swap stories, work on homework or simply sit and talk, among other activities. Throughout the summer months, school-based matches are encouraged to keep in touch via letters and e-mails.
Key advantages of this mentoring option are:
- You have a predictable schedule of contact with your Little
- It is a structured environment with indoor and outdoor activities at the ready
- The weekday timing keeps your weekends and summers free
- Many employers give paid time off for lunchtime mentoring
- School staff are available for support or assistance if needed
- You do not need a driver’s license to participate
- At a later point you have option to convert your match to community-based or site-based Plus